Conflict is expensive. The Matsunaga Institute's academic programs can be used to obtain interpersonal, collaborative problem solving, and conflict resolution skills that can be applied to many in demand professional careers, including:
Development & Environmental Management
Development assistance, disaster management, housing and land use, human rights, economic development, conservation and resource management.
- Urban and Regional Planners (URP) develop land use plans and programs that help create communities, accommodate population growth, and revitalize physical facilities. URP positions require a master's degree from an urban planning program. Employment of URP is expected to grow 13% from 2016 to 2026.
Education & Welfare
Teaching, student affairs, counseling and advising, disability rights and inclusive education.
- Postsecondary Education Administrators (PEA) oversee student services, academics, and faculty research at colleges and universities. Job duties vary depending on the area of the college or university that they manage. PEA typically need a master's degree, and some work experience to be competitive. Employment of PEA is expected to grow 10% from 2016 to 2026.
- Social and Community Service Managers (SCSM) coordinate and supervise social service programs and community organizations. They manage workers who provide social services to the public. A minimum of a bachelor's degree and some work experience to qualify for SCSM positions. Employment of SCSM is expected to grow 18% from 2016 to 2026.
- Social Workers (SW) help people solve problems in their everyday lives. They work in a variety of settings, including mental health clinics, schools, child welfare and human service agencies, hospitals, community development corporations, and private practices. A bachelor's degree unless working as a clinical social worker, then continue education in a master's degree and 2 years of experience will be needed to be competitive. Employment of SW is expected to grow 16% from 2016 to 2026.
Law & Government
Public interest, family and juvenile, federal government, state and local government, human resource management, legislative compliance review, impact assessment.
- Conciliators and Mediators (CM) facilitate dialogue between disputing parties to help resolve conflicts outside of the court system. A minimum of a bachelor's degree and at least two years of experience to qualify for CM positions. Employment of CM is expected to grow 10% from 2016 to 2026.
Management & Administration
Management training and development, customer service management, labor relations, community affairs, social services, healthcare administration, program management.
- Administrative Services Managers (ASM) plan, direct, and coordinate supportive services for an organization. Their responsibilities will vary, but typically will maintain facilities and supervise activities that include record keeping, mail distribution, and office upkeep. The education requirements for ASM will vary depending on the organization they work for; they typically require a bachelor's degree with some related work experience. Employment of ASM is expected to grow 10% from 2016 to 2026.
- Human Resource Managers (HRM) plan, direct, and coordinate the administrative functions of an organization. They oversee the hiring, interviewing, and recruiting of new staff; consult with top executives on strategic planning; and serve as a link between an organization's management and its employees. A minimum of a bachelor's degree and at least 3 years of experience to qualify for HRM positions. Employment of HRM is expected to grow 9% from 2016 to 2026.
All employment statistics taken from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Kroc Institute For International Peace Studies, Strategic Peacebuilding Pathways Wheel